Thursday, January 31, 2008

Castles

It is sunny outside, not just sunny, but the sky is that amazing blue that seems only possible on HDTV. The air is so clear it should be in the dictionary as the definition of air. But boy oh boy it is COLD!

You see (if you are reading it implies you do see) I like winter. Maybe because winter was such a vague concept while I was growing up, what with living in Rio, not much of a winter there. So I do like to have well defined seasons. It goes with being a Virgo, even if I don’t really buy into astrology. But I digress… I like winter until it gets to be February (even if today is not officially February, give me a break, or just wait until tomorrow and I will stand correct). Why? Because it is too damn long, not the month itself, I know February is the shortest of them all, almost like a dwarf month, but by now winter is a tired thing and I am already dreaming of planting my tomatoes and sunflowers. But I still have another 3 months to wait!

I love snow. What is not to love? It looks beautiful; everything looks much cleaner covered in white, specially if it is the fluffy dry stuff. There is magic in snow. My dogs are beyond themselves while eating the stuff or simply jumping on it. Here comes the big but: with snow comes snowplows and why, please tell me why do they need to run at 4AM? (I know, I know, I don’t need to drive to work so I fail to see the need). So let’s agree it is not an Earthquake so I can turn and go back to sleep, but alas I know that while they clean the roads of snow they also bring sand. Tons of sand! The sand that will glue to shoes, they must use very special gluey sand, and also will glue to dogs paws (all 8 of them) and will enter my house and be EVERYWHERE!

I used to live two blocks from the beach when I was a kid, I was not impressed then and I am still not amused by sand now. Am I whining? You bet I am because I really need to go and sweep the floor again!

Maybe I don’t sweep and the dogs will be able to build castles by the end of the month!

There you go; you got your bubble of joy!

No comments: