Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Mamma Mia! (not the musical)

I just talk with my mom on the phone, for about 1.5 minutes, it is almost funny how by now I know by her tone of voice (saying simply:“hi honey” or actually “oi minha querida” because she speaks Portuguese not English) that she is in a hurry, most probably at the door on her way to something she is already a bit late to go.

I did not mind at all, specially because this call was mostly to tell her I will go out to dinner with a BFF (more on that later), you see she is always worried that I don’t go out much, that I don’t have much fun, so I make a point to tell her when my days have a potential for awesomeness. All she had time to say was that her cruise to the Greek Islands was cancelled and she had to go get her money back, she said she will call later with the details.

Whoever you are if you read some of my very early posts you will know that mom is into belly-dancing, which I find amazing, actually I would love to have the courage to try it out. Anyways, she is into it and was planning to get a new costume during the trip, apart from glorious Greek Islands she was also going to Turkey. Yeah, mmmm’kay I was a bit jealous, come on it is just human, right?

My mom has a very peculiar way of thinking and she actually had mentioned in a previous call that she was feeling extra good about this trip because for once she would not feel bad about not being with both my sister and I on our birthday. True to be told last year I end making a last minute trip to Rio and all 3 of us spend the b-day, the day I arrive there, together. This year she would be traveling 2 days before the birthday and would be gone for 2 blissful weeks. Not happening anymore. I await what will be her next adventure.

There is a point to this little story but I cannot remember why I started to write it. Maybe it is ADD or an early onset of Alzheimer’s, and I am not even joking, my grandmother did suffer from dementia, by now we think it was Alzheimer’s, but at the time the difference between cortical and subcortical dementias were not clear, or at least her doctors did not go into it.

Oh well now that the point is lost I might as well just tell you about how happy I am that tonight is a Girl’s Night OUT  with a very amazing woman that happens to be one of my favorite friends. We had promise each other to get back on track, meaning getting together at least once a month and we did it! The last time we went to da Capo for dinner and it happened on the 16 so hey we are making it happen.

We are even going back to da Capo, since we both agree that a place that treat us as queens, pampers us to no end, from the owners to the chefs and wait staff, what is NOT TO LIKE? There is that minor aspect of breaking a recent decision to get back on a diet, but I trust myself to make the exception for the night and getting back on the horse (most probably the treadmill) tomorrow morning.

Did I forget to tell you internet? Yeah baby, I am back to the gym.

I have postponed the decision way too long, with really bad consequences which include a huge allergy to look at myself at any mirrors, but since not witnessing the crime does not mean it is not happening I finally commit and got my act together and started yesterday.

I know not to expect miracles, it will take time and effort and tons of discipline to get back in some sort of shape, the goal is to get down at least two sizes, 3 would be fantastic but also so unrealistic I agree with myself 2 will make me a happier enough person.

I just remember why I wrote the first part of this post, I have to get very serious on that diet and exercise combo because there is a chance, not a big one but still in the realm of possibilities, mom will consider a visit. HERE. 

No comments: