Friday, February 22, 2008

How old can you be?

How many can you have?

Being a twin I learn about competition even before I was born, and to be honest I never liked it. I think we only shared one BFF, actually our very first friend ever, at age 4, but after that we had a silent agreement to have different BFF’s and make our lives easier.
I never liked to compete, maybe this is the reason I never excelled in any sports, was kinda good at swimming if it did NOT involved a competition.

At 45 I feel a bit silly about calling anyone a BFF but I do believe having female friends is the most important thing in my life. (mmm’kay… so He-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed is pretty important too but this is not what we talking about now)

Apart from the 3 I already mentioned in this blog there are two other women in my life that make me a better person, and even if I am not a phone person (sometimes I believe I “used” all my phone hours when I was a teenager and now I just hate the darn thingy!) I do feel I can call them anytime. We are very alike in some ways and very different in others and we sure had quite different life experiences but we easily found ourselves choosing the same dish in a restaurant or pointing the same clothes at a store, agreeing on those mundane ways that makes us feel connected. Sometimes it gets to be a bit scary how we can second guess each other’s choices.

Being with them has enriched my life beyond my expectations. I feel lucky that I got to know them, I feel blessed that they “get” me, I feel proud that they know they can count on me.
They constantly remind me why women need other good women in their lives.
Being part of their lives is a huge deal for me, be it because we support each other on diets, or we can laugh about our significant others silly similarities or we can have a therapeutic shopping day even when we are both broke!

I can be buying gifts for her kids or twisting her hand to let me pay for coffee, and don’t take me wrong, we can get pretty serious about stuff cause life is not just glasses of wine and rosy days. The connection is there no matter what we do together and funny enough even if we just talking on the phone and saying we have been bad and should not go that long without going out together.

Earlier this year one of them lost her sister, my heart hurt terribly even if I never met her sister, and I don’t dare to say I knew what she was going thru but I can easily say I would like her around if I ever have to go thru the same.

So I don’t really know the rules for how old you can be to have BFF’s or how many you can have but those two(now don’t smirk …you know who you are!) would be awfully deserving of the title!

No comments: