Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Veramente

My dogs know it will snow today, how they know is beyond me but they have been pacing around, they gave me the special treatment, they gang up and place their heads, each dog on a thigh, press as hard as possible, do a little moaning, and don’t forget the begging eyes, big caramel eyes with expressive eyebrows all four of them fixed on me. Pretty please with sugar on top: CAN WE GO TO THE BACK YARD? NOW?

It is barely 9am and it happened already 3 times, right now Matisse just did the special walk around my chair, he is just waiting for Jack to come help him with the plan. They did not go for the loud approach, the one that comes with real loud barking and jumping , that is reserved for afternoons and mostly used with He-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed, unless I ignore their soft approach then I am deserving of the loud one.

I have no means to explain to them that today we will only get maybe an inch of the white stuff, and even that is only going to happen real late afternoon or even night time. The radio and TV weather people did promise a much larger storm by Friday, maybe the last one of this winter? But my dogs have a very bad perception of time, tomorrow is way beyond their understanding, the day after tomorrow is an abstraction of huge proportions.

Jack is getting even worse about eating lately, he has always been picky, his routine includes ignoring the food at first, and reluctantly agreeing to eat a bit, but that includes a couple of stops, when he will sit down, look around like he is trying hard to remember what he was supposed to do, look at me with an expression that says: “ Eat? You mean I need to finish that?...Oh… ok … if it makes you happy”

But sometimes he will look at the food and simply dislike it, so at first I could fool him shaking the bowl: “oh now it looks so much better I will eat it”… then he decided that the rearrangement of kibble did not improve the taste so I would sprinkle it with some water… it worked for a bit… then maybe if I use chicken stock… now he is into yogurt.. I eat half a cup for breakfast and he decided it is just the yuumiest thing on earth and cannot wait for his kibble to be smudged with a bit of 0% fat Greek yogurt, and yes dogs are not supposed to eat dairy when they are done with puppyhood but be my guest to explain that to a very stubborn adorable wirehaired pointing griffon.

Now I am off to the gym, it feels like a day for a double post so be warned I might be BACK!

No comments: