Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Dirty Job

Last Saturday the Historical Society held their “Under the Stars & Stripes Dinner”. We actually did not see any stars as Hanna hit here and it was pouring monkeys. I am not kidding. I'm exaggerating, but that's different. They end up having to transfer the event, which was to be held under tents at the Society gardens, to a Ballroom in town.

I had plans to go in costume, but alas I never manage to make an appointment to check the costumes at the Theater in town, they had a good deal to encourage the guests to attend the party properly attired. Some of our friends did and I was envy.

The dinner was provided by a catering service in town, and she followed a menu from the period. It was maybe the best dinner we had at a party; even He-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed was impressed.

I have been planning to go there for a cooking class for months. He-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed gave me a gift certificate for the place for Christmas last year but their website is not updated and I keep meaning to stop there to see what they are offering, but since they are located at a part of town not in our regular route, I never did.

Sunday was spent on much needed home improvement projects, He-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed decided to clean the roof. There were all sorts of green things growing on it. If there is any upside on loosing the big tree is that the roof will not be covered with sap leaking stuff. He-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed said he would hose the green things down but when I looked he was on the roof!

The day was one of those picture perfect days, not uncommon after a big storm. The sky was an intense blue; the sun was shining, the temperature was just about right, enough to warm up the skin but not enough to make a person hot.

When he decides to do something there is very little I can do to make him change his mind (more like nothing at all) so I knew the best thing was to get busy with something else. I have been planning to take down my giant sunflowers, they are like small trees. They are way passed their prime and there have been a couple of accidents, like cars hitting their giant heads. It is always a bit sad to cut them down but there always be next year.

After lunch He-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed asked me: “Do you want to clean the grill?”

I went all like: “No! Do you see these manicured nails? I intend them to last at least a week”

I don’t get my nails done that often so when I do I try to preserve them as long as possible.

Of course his mind was set on doing it so he spent the next 3 hours doing a fantastic job. It does disturb me a little, as in I feel guilty for not being the one doing it but guess what? I got over the guilt feelings and let him do the job. I still have grease free nails. (yes I have heard about rubber gloves but I am useless wearing them)

I had cleaned the grill before but it cannot compare to the degree to which he does it.

Now I almost feel like not using the grill evah!

It will be such a shame to make it all dirty again.

No comments: