Sunday, September 14, 2008

Top Model Material

I knew it would take a bit of getting used to but I did not expect Jack to react so badly to his new “sister”. I am in charge of Mia for the next 10 days. She belongs to a neighbor and I was the one to offer to take care of her cute puppyness. It is very hard to resist the charms of a young Golden Retriever. 

Today I started with her first visit to our house and our boys. I knew it worked well when Princess came to visit two weeks ago, it took a while but they all had a great time outside. Not to happen today since it has been raining buckets!

I cannot say it was totally unpredicted since whenever we take the boys for a walk and Mia is out at her backyard my boys had shown this same behavior, Matisse is very eager to go check her out, very gentle, sniffing her but not being over interested. Jack on the other hand has always barked like mad and usually He-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed ends up taking Jack home and I stay with Matisse to visit.

She is very young, under 4 months old, and thankfully also very calm even when facing a non-stop barking reception from Jack. Matisse was curious about her, I was quite happy with my old boy reaction; he would let her sniff him and even kiss him a bit. He totally kept his cool, and also a bit of smug look, like “oh well she is just a kid” attitude.

Initially my idea was to keep her here for a couple of hours but I decided an hour was enough for this first visit.  He-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed even took Jack with him and kept him in the office for a while, let Matisse and Mia have some private time away from the barking machine.

By then she was trying to engage Matisse into playing, she barked at him a couple of times but the big old guy just look at her, turn his head to the side and I almost could read his thoughts as in: “she is kinda of amusing but I am too old for that”.

She already lost her baby fat, although still very much a puppy one can already see the potential for beauty there. The gorgeous blonde/red hair and long legs that will make her Gisele Bundchen of the canine world!

Actually she even has a very fashionable name: MIA! 

No comments: