Thursday, July 31, 2008

Burn Baby Burn

I have been known to be prone to small accidents, maybe this is one of the reasons He-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed don’t allow me to use the lawnmower or the new thingy he bought to cut the brush(oversized weeds) taking over the yard.

Most of my life I have a permanent collection of small bruises, some of them I have no clue about how they got there and some of them did still have the yelled 4 letter word attached to their memories. Generally I don’t blame myself if doors jambs, chairs, tables, or any generic corner of something decided to jump and attach me. I mean I swear I had clearance; I did spend 5 years in architectural school so I should be able to guess distances, better, NOT.

 On the other hand I hardly ever have any kitchen mishaps, if my memory serves me right I had broken not more than 6 glasses my whole life!  Plates if you count the two broken by radical temperature changes might get to a high number of 3. Considering the amount of time I spend sharpening my knives (I just cannot deal with blunt knives), very seldom I cut myself.

All of it is just to try to explain how annoyed I am because of yesterday’s accident.

I decided to cook some beets early in the afternoon, so they would be cold for a salad by dinner time. One of the advantages to work from home is that you can have this sort of impromptu decisions and act on them. So I got the 4 beauties in water and set the stove alarm to check on them in 15 minutes, and so I did. They were ways from being done so I set for extra 10 minutes, walk back to my desk and decided it was way too hot to stand it without the AC. Turn it on and thought to myself “ I must pay attention to the alarm sound since this noise from the AC is so loud”, then of course I proceed to get distracted and suddenly I smell something burning, the funny part was that my first thought was “ hey the AC is burning” so I turn it off and then it hit me.

The sweet smell of burned beets.

The pan is scorched beyond salvation but I did manage to recover 85% of the beets, and they even taste pretty good after the burned part was removed and they had time to “air the smell”.

He-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed did not complain too much, maybe because he still remembers the time he got the electric oven on fire.

 But Holly Golly Miss Molly I hate to waste a perfect good multi-purpose pan. 

No comments: