Monday, July 28, 2008

Standing tall and proud

We spent the whole weekend fixing the fences and cleaning weeds that transformed the backyard into a jungle. And we have the pains and aches to prove it. We are both moving around like we are 103 years old and moaning a bit but it was worth it. There is still some work to be done in order to let the dogs out there, the little fence to the tomato patch is now screwed in place since the post that held the hinges seems to have disappear, He-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed suspects the guys that cut the tree down just got that post into the shrewder along with some of the smaller branches they cut.

We still have to spread the woodchips, now they make a small hill close to the fence and we know way too well that Matisse will think of nothing but jumping over the fence from that advantage point. Because the whole lot of woodchips is soaked wet from the rain we had to leave it for another day since our muscles could not deal with any more abuse yesterday. I have to say it took longer than I thought but I am very proud of He-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed work, sure the fences are a bit crooked at some places but they are standing, and somehow it looks a bit more organic with the not so square angles.

I finally had the courage to clean the mess the tree truck did on my garden at the side of the driveway. For weeks I would stare at it and just felt too overwhelmed by the amount of work it would take to fix it.

The worse part, close to the garage doors, are still looking a bit bare since they really did a SMASHING job driving on top of all kinds of plants and flowers but at least now it looks neat, bare but neat.

He-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed is always great about sensing when I need a “pick-me up” gesture so while he went to his church(Home Depot) to get a few bags of concrete to set the new fence posts he got me a big vase of black-eye susans  that were on sale.  Right now they don’t fill much space but I know they spread and by next year will be all over.

 I wish I had taken “before” pictures of the jungle so you would have a better idea of how much work it was but we will settle for “after” pictures, maybe even today.

We are both on the short side so even if we are not standing tall( mostly cause of the aches) we are damn proud of our hard work. 

1 comment:

Lizelotte said...

Glad to hear you've just been busy - and you sure have :-)