Wednesday, July 2, 2008

We all need names

We live in a quiet street, well maybe not so quiet since we are just around the corner from the busiest street in town, but still most of our neighbors are old people that live quiet lives.

My favorite are a couple, well into their 90’s, they drive this old big car (yeah, not good with names here) and they always wave to me and sometimes even stop for a quick chat. They do go out much more than I would expect someone of their age, by and large it is the miracle of America for me, since in Brasil old people mostly just stay home.

They once told me they have been married over 75 years and they do look like most of it has been happy years. Once they mentioned that they go to the hospital twice a week because she is under some treatment, but apart from that he just drives her around, she is fond of driving around.

I went to take Matisse for a walk, I usually take one dog at a time specially when I know there are plenty of temptations in the form of squirrels and birds and chipmunks. I was just out of the door when I saw the ambulance drive by, and the old couple car behind it, he stopped almost in front my door, because the ambulance was waiting to get to the main street, he looks at me and puts his hands together in an universal gesture that means “pray” while he looks ahead to the ambulance, I respond in kind and nod and he makes the sign of the cross and drove away.

I don’t really know them; I don’t even know their names. They are the old couple in the big car. I just got a bit disappointed with myself, because I wanted to pray for her, and I did but I could only refer to her as the old lady from the old couple with the big car.

No comments: